The History of Old Union
In the 1890's, the area around Continental Boulevard and Brumlow Road was referred to as "Old Union Community." It was a place where the community could gather for picnics, church services, and any other social gatherings. Old Union School (in 1903) was on Continental Boulevard, and this road used to be called Union Church Road. The school's first teacher was a Mr. Corbett. The original school burned down, and in 1910, a new school was built in the southeast corner of the intersection of Brumlow Road and present day "Continental." The Old Union School merged with White's Chapel and Dove Schools to become Carroll School. Therefore, since the new school was to be located in the general vicinity of the original Old Union School, the Board of Directors voted to name the new school Old Union Elementary School.